Monday, August 17, 2009

Just say no, right?

Doughnuts. Lovely, fresh doughnuts, made merely hours ago sit on the snack table in the newsroom. Oh how I love doughnuts, from the good bakery too, not one of the box stores.

I have just said no to doughnuts, well, hopefully. I don't leave here for a couple of hours yet and there they sit. I've had my snack and my lunch (I go to work at 5 a.m.) and so I should be good to say no. No hunger here. Not when there's doughnuts involved.

That snack table. You walk past it to come in or out of the main room with all our pods in it. And, since they're fresh doughnuts the smell just wafts over to the doorway. Oh my. I love doughnuts. Why is it so hard for me to say no to doughnuts but not so hard for me to say no to cauliflower? When I bite into cauliflower the taste is amazing. When I bite into a doughnut the bite is amazing, the cushiony softness of the dough, but the taste? Plain sugar.

Just like this morning. My boss brought out homemade blueberry muffins for the very few of us (copy-editors, of course) who are here at five in the morning. I was perfectly fine with that as they were small, I could eat part of it and then not go over my calories. My meals planned for today are pretty low in calories. So I smell it, always an important part of eating. Oh, you can smell the blueberries and the freshness with them too! Then I tore off a piece. It was ripe with blueberries, just plain stocked full of them. I took a bite, thinking about the way the blueberries would burst in my mouth and taste so good.

No such flavor.

They were (surprisingly) bland. I threw it away. I was super proud of myself for that. I wanted to eat it, but it didn't taste good at all, so why would I eat it? I keep reminding myself that that's how the doughnuts will taste too. Great smell, nice bite, no taste.

So, just say no, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment