Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Eat what you love

I recently was reading this post by fitbottomedgirls. She says in it, "eat what you love and savor every delicious holiday bite."

I don't do that.

I love cheesecake. I have cheesecake in my fridge at home right now. When I go to eat it, I do not savor every bite. I stuff it in my face so quickly that by the time the taste of that delicious cheesecake hits it's already down to my hips. Then I want another piece. Or ten. I find that when I do take more time with my food: When I savor it and wait for it to register in my mouth instead of swallowing it whole, I am more satisfied. I have less mindless eating, I choose my foods carefully. Do I really want to ingest 300 calories of something I don't enjoy and then have to run three miles later to make up for it? Most times the answer is a resounding "No."

So my goal, especially for this month of December that is chock-full of amazing delicious treats, is to savor. Not to miss or cut out or deprive myself of, but to look over a table of goodies and to pick those I find the most appetizing, and then savor. Just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it (a lesson I could stand to have beaten into my mouth) but if it looks delectable, I will not say "cannot" or "may not" because I may. I just need to keep myself in check a little bit.

I'm pretty sure the cheesecake at home will be joining me on my trip to work tomorrow. It's not that it's bad, I enjoy it, but I've enjoyed 1/4 of that thing now, I think that's plenty, now it's time to share. Christmas is about giving, after all :D

No comments:

Post a Comment