Friday, February 12, 2010

One foot in front of the other

There are days I just don't feel like doing it. I don't want to eat a carrot instead of a brownie. I don't want to get dressed in my workout clothes. I really don't want to get in my car or out on the road and do what I'm supposed to do to keep this healthy lifestyle I've grown to (most days) love. I have to say there are days when I don't, when I let my negative attitude control my actions for the day. I deal with these days and I don't let myself think "well, you've missed your workout today, that means you should take the rest of the week off" but I do believe it derails me.

One day off is not where I want to be. I want to do this every day, all day, every week of every month of the rest of my life. This is what I want. This isn't always what I get. Why? Because of life. Because as much as I hate to hear or use excuses, sh** happens. One day I may not get to my workout class because we're completely overloaded at work. This is not ideal and I work my butt off to ensure it doesn't happen - coming in early and doing more than my "fair share" just to make sure I can leave and not feel guilty.

There may be snow and I may not feel safe driving, so I won't go to the grocery store to get the ingredients for an incredibly healthy meal I have planned. I will have to make something that may not be as healthy as my planned meal. It happens. Life throws curves at you and it's important that you deal with them.

So I can't get to class on time, it doesn't mean I can't workout. I can go to the gym later. I can put in one of my workout DVD's, I can brave the cold and go for a walk or run. I can make it happen if I want it badly enough. So I can't make my planned meal, it doesn't mean I can't eat in a healthy way! My life is changing on more than just a one-trip-to-the-grocery-story level. My house is stocked with eats that are good for you. I can make a meal and while it may not be my desired one, it will still be healthy.

I found this excerpt at (if you can't see the link, its' http://www.wellsphere.com/running-article/exercise-psychology-tip-5-how-to-deal-with-other-people-s-expectations/429502)

"I think the key element to fitness & weight-loss success starts on a mental plane. You lead with your head, & your body will follow. This is not to say that you should just wait for inspiration to strike before you decide to run or eat more healthfully. Actually, it's the exact opposite. You put one foot down after another, & then inspiration will follow. I find I often gain the resolve I need only after taking the first step toward my goal(s). With each step I take towards my goals, I reinforce my belief in myself, & put greater trust my instincts. It is through this reinforcement that I gain increased strength to keep going. In this case, I think it's best to visualize where you want to be, start moving, & analyze/re-assess later." In other words, don't overthink the process or get too bogged down with the planning. Just get out the door & start moving. "

So it goes for life as well as exercise and other healthy things. Sometimes the action comes before the feeling. Sometimes doing something is just as good as wanting to do something and do it. Life may derail us, but as long as we keep putting one foot down and picking the other back up we can continue this journey as long as we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment