Friday, February 19, 2010

It just keeps getting better

I'm continually amazed at what this new way of living actually brings to my life. Every time I conquer something I once thought impossible, every time I do something new and every time my life changes I just have to sit in disbelief for a few minutes and take it all in. I never knew my life could be what it is today, and I have so much further to go!

Anyway, my first WOO HOO for this week, I did BIG GIRL PUSH UPS on Wednesday in my fitness class! By those I mean the ones on your toes. I don't think I've EVER been able to do them, and I eeked out five. We do about fifty push ups every class and I've been doing them on my knees, but I'm switching to my toes because my back is now strong enough to handle them. One week ago I tried them and my back collapsed, it just couldn't handle it. Today I'm aiming for eight, and next week even more!

My other woohoo is that last night at the volleyball game I served OVERHAND! To anyone in sports, this probably seems like such a small goal, but again, it's something I've never been able to do before! After our games last night (we played a double header) I swore I had a runner's high, only it was from volleyball! It was amazing the difference I feel from when we started last fall to how I am doing now. I'm more confident and I'm definitely a better player. When I started last fall it was to have fun, now I'm having fun and I'm doing pretty well. I will never be an elite volleyball player, but to be able to hold me own makes me so happy that every time I walk off the court I have a huge grin on my face.

I'm not saying that push ups and volleyball make my life complete, but I never thought they would fulfill my life in this way. Because I'm losing weight, because I'm getting stronger so many other areas of my life are getting fuller.

I'm happier at home with the SO because I'm happier with myself. We're saving money on groceries because I buy healthy food, but I eat smaller portions than I ever did when we were just buying crap. Instead of matching the SO bite for bite I have about half. And now the SO is watching his portions too. We always have leftovers. Then I get a whole extra meal (if not two or three) out of what we would normally eat for one meal. For example, the other day we got a Papa Murphy's pizza. Normally we would polish that sucker off, but I had two pieces, the SO had three. then I had two for lunch yesterday and now I still have an extra piece. That's TWO extra meals for me, four meals instead of two, at a price of $10. So instead of paying $5 per meal we paid $2.50. You can't tell me that those savings don't add up.

In other news, I feel better. I'm more confident and I'm trying things I always told myself I couldn't do. Playing volleyball is one. Playing softball this summer is going to be another. I pretty much stopped playing organized sports in 8th grade when I tore a ligament playing basketball. I was done after that. Now, I'm more coordinated. I'm stronger and I'm loving it.

In MORE news, I've started writing a few book reviews and I've co-written a couple of articles for the paper I work at. I always wanted to be a copy-editor, not a writer because I didn't want to put myself out there. I enjoy playing with other people's words and making it as good as it can be, but I never really wanted to write because to write meant my work could be critiqued, and who needed that when I was harder on myself than anyone could ever be. But I'm out there. If people don't like what I've written, tough I guess, 'cuz it's there!

I just keep thinking, it was over nine months ago since I got off my butt and out on the pavement walking first, and then running. I thought it was impossible to do a mile. Now I regularly run 3-4 miles. That was just the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment