Friday, January 15, 2010

Breathe

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

My life is changing all around me. So many things have happened in the last week, month, year and decade. I tend to live in the moment. I love enjoying things as they come into my life and then, when they are gone, I don't turn to think of them very often. I reminisce, I remember friends and events, but rarely.

I don't like living in the past, thinking what could have happened or what could have been. What's done is done. That doesn't mean you can't learn from it, but why live in the past?

I plan for my lunch, my dinner, a trip that may be taken or time with family, but I don't enjoy only thinking of what's coming up a week, month or year away. I don't have a five-year plan. I don't have a goal at work other than to be the best I can be at what I do. Things may happen because I work as I hard as I can at what I do and I would love to see future events come to fruition, but I don't spend my time dreaming of a future that's never set in stone.

I don't like living in the future. Tomorrow isn't here yet. Why put all my hopes and dreams in a tomorrow when tomorrow is always one day away?

I live in my now. I live in the moment, in the life that's created here. This doesn't mean that I can't see beyond this moment. I can see the past, I can see the future, I can plan for tomorrow or question yesterday. But why live in the past or the future and miss today? The world is so varied, so uncontrollable. I may plan a life with the person I love only to see them slip away due to cancer or disease. I may have loved someone in the past, but that doesn't mean they were my only and all and I should stop living because they are not part of my life anymore.

I savor my moments. I relish the touch of a hand, a hug or a smile. I delight in what I can accomplish today. I can run 3 miles. I can cook a lovely supper to make family smile. I can be lazy or eat right or change my world today. This moment, this decision will impact my life. An apple will make me feel so much better than cake. A kind word will make someone smile rather than someone frown. I may have not made decisions I am proud of yesterday, but I can change that today.

Each day is a new day. Each day is what I make if it, and in each day there are chances to succeed and chance to fail. If I succeeded yesterday that doesn't mean that the rest of my life will be a success. That doesn't mean that I can quit trying or quit moving ahead in life. If I failed yesterday that also doesn't mean that I am only a failure and that failure is the only thing in store for me. I reach out for today. Today is always new.

No comments:

Post a Comment