Friday, September 10, 2010

Expectations

Sometimes I hate expectations. They often serve to let me down. What I hate most about expectations are the ones other people have for me that, try as I might, I can never live up to. How can you live up to someone elses expectations when you never know what they are? You do your work, you accomplish everything you're "supposed" to, but still you fail because you missed some deadline that was never mentioned.

It makes me feel:
defeated
stupid
slow
unworthy

Interesting, right? Let's just say it's been a day today!

I also am not a fan of failing at expectations I set for myself. I set something in sand so that I can see it, look at it and reach it. I expect myself to go running three times a week. I expect myself to eat the proper (if not more) servings of fruits and vegetables every day. I expect myself to go to work, go home, keep the house in reasonable order and take my turn making supper! I do not feel these things are too much to ask from me. I do not think it's too much to ask my body to respond to what I'm doing and lose some gosh darn weight.

Expectations set us up to fail, but they also set us up to succeed. They give us goals to reach for and keep is moving, instead of allowing us to become stagnant in our lives. As much as I dislike the pressure they put on me at times, I'm thankful that my failures allow me to push harder and to be better. This is a life journey after all! However much I want it easy, I want it to be better that much more. As much as I get frustrated, I keep right on truckin' one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment