Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2011 5K #2

45:06

It's my new 5k time! I cut two minutes and six seconds off my time in LESS THAN A MONTH! WOOT! I know for some it's still crazy slow, and it's definitely a lot slower than I want to be. I'm headed in the right direction, though. Building up speed slowly.

Yesterday I went on a run outside. It's in the 40's! That's perfect running weather, right? Oh my goodness was I cold. I need to get some running mittens. Right now it would be perfect to have the thin ones. Just something to break the brain-numbing wind. Honestly I think if they sun was shining it would have been perfect, but by the time I headed out it was overcast. Blech. But I did it.

It felt so slow, like I was running at a snail's pace, but I just kept it up, one foot in front of the other, one hill at a time. I had to walk a bit more than I normally do on the treadmill, even though I've been training with it at an incline I think the road just puts more pressure on my body.

My normal pace right now is 15-minute miles on the treadmill. I got home, clocked in my time on the 2.3 miles I pumped out and BAM! 13-minute miles! So, if I run my next 5k in March (hopefully a regulated race, I won't have the snow excuse anymore) and keep it to that pace I'll shave SIX more minutes off my 5k time. IN THREE MONTHS! Can you tell I'm slightly excited?

I will say those 2.3 miles wore me out a little more than the 4+ on my treadmill! I know my pace was faster, but I think the cold just wore me down, too. And hills. Oy hills. Let's just say I better have killer calves after this!

No comments:

Post a Comment