Monday, January 17, 2011

He's supposed to

Before I get started with my rant, let me fill you in on my morning. It has been a morning, that's for sure. It's snowing in good 'ol Iowa today, and I did not know it was supposed to. Bad me. Anyway, going to work and ran out of gas. Who runs out of gas anymore? Me. Luckily I have a loving SO who was not too displeased to be woken up a half hour early and was willing to come and bring gas out to me, oh, and a spare set of keys since when I got out of the car to make sure my hazards were on (they weren't) I also locked my keys in my car. Lmao! I had just passed a gas station, ironic, right? and I went there to wait. Lickity-split he's there and I'm gassed up and made it to work only a half hour late. Wowza :D So part of my exercise today will be shoveling, but until then I'm enjoying the warmth of being inside with dry shoes.

So, because of the amazingness of the SO, I want to make him something super special for supper.  We'll call this the Super Special Supper, or SSS. I asked my coworker what she thought I should make for the SSS. Her response? "He's your significant other. He's supposed to do things like that." Basically saying I shouldn't plan anything special because he's supposed to help me out when things like that happen.

In a way, I agree. That is part of what being in a relationship is. You do things for the person you love. You go out of your way to make sure they're safe, that their needs are met and that is part of the way you fill eachother's lives. I completely agree.

What I don't agree with is the fact that she was saying I should dismiss his actions because he's "supposed" to do them. Just because I love this man and he loves me doesn't mean that I shouldn't say "Thank you" (which, by the way, I did, about five times :D) But still, he went out of his way to be kind to me and I want to cook him supper. I want to show him that I appreciate what he did. I want to show him that, while his time and energy could have been put to better uses, like getting that extra half hour of sleep, I am glad he chose to come and help me.

It's just a gripe of mine, and I know I don't do it as often as I should, but I think the people we care about the most definitely deserve the majority of our love and attention. Just because we see each other for a good part of the day every day doesn't mean I shouldn't tell him how much I appreciate it when he does the dishes, snowblows the driveway, does my laundry, picks up the house or comes and bails me out of a sticky situation at 6 a.m. on a Monday morning.

Sometimes (rarely) he fishes for praise and I don't give it to him, even though I should. How much more do I appreciate it when he does something like today (and countless other times) and saves my bacon? He does so much for me, more than he probably even realizes. I can cook the man a SSS to say thank you. I love you. I love it when you rescue me. Now, for ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment