Monday, June 21, 2010

What are you fighting for?

What makes this journey worth it. What makes learning to be healthy, learning to be fit and sticking to it worth it? Is it the reward you have for yourself at the end of the day? Is it the person you spend your life with and you just want as much time as possible with them? What about the future generation. Do you do this to spend more time with grandkids? Kids? Do you have bad knees? Diabetes? Depression? What are you battling, other than fat, that makes this journey worth it to you?

I'm on this journey for all those reasons. I don't have kids, yet. But if or when I do I want to be the best mom I can be. I want to be around to see those smiles, to tuck them in, to hug them tight. I want to be healthy so I have the best chance to keep on living with those sweet little things. If I ever have kids and their anything like my nieces and my nephew I won't want to miss one day away from them due to poor health. The same goes for their kids. If I am blessed with children I want to be around to see THEIR children. To spoil them rotten, to hold them tight and to watch them run their parents world. I want time.

I want to diminish my risks. There are diabetes, depression, high blood pressure and even cancer in my family. I want to do what I can to make my life the best possible. I want less medications and more sweat and I want to not worry about what sickness or disease might strike me next. I know when I exercise I feel better mentally. When I eat healthy foods I feel better physically. I want health.

I love the SO and I want to DO things with him. I want to hike down the Grand Canyon. I want to try out kayaking. I want to go camping and swimming and fishing and walking and not worry that I can't . I want to be able to LIVE with him, not just watch my life pass by. I want to have him cheer as I round first in softball, and have him stand at the end of the finish line at my next race, smiling, so proud of me. And I want to toil through mowing the lawn, trimming the trees and creating our garden so we can sit back, view our handiwork and enjoy an tall glass of iced tea. I want life.

My time is now. I'm training to run my next race today. I'm working out to be healthy in mind and body. I am able, I am willing and my excuses just get in the way. I'm tired, but I know I'll have more energy if I work out. I'm out of time, but making supper is going to treat me a whole lot better than pushing buttons to order a pizza. The time is now. Not tomorrow, not next week. We don't need a momentous occasion with trumpets blasting to start us on this journey. It starts with one bite, one step, one choice and we can do that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment